Professional certification offered through the Academy ensures that geotechnical engineers have specialized knowledge and skills in their field of practice. Once your education, experience and expertise has been vetted by a panel, you are granted the Diplomate, Geotechnical Engineering (D.GE) certification.
Differentiate yourself from your peers by applying for your D.GE. To maintain the certification, you are required to earn at least twenty professional development hours (PDHs) per year to stay up-to-date on new technologies and trends.
Why is Board Certification Important?
Geo-Professional Board Certification was created in 2008 to recognize engineers who have an advanced degree of knowledge and expertise in the specialized field of Geotechnical Engineering. These individuals, who are endorsed with this Board Certification, are actively engaged in this professional practice and have met and often exceed the minimum requirements.
With these skills and accomplishments, Board Certified engineer is one of the highest designations in the Geo-Profession and recognized as a respected and credible professional within the field of civil engineering.
What is a Board Certified Diplomate?
- A Diplomate is a Board Certified Professional.
- It is considered one of the highest designations in the Geo-Profession.
- Over 350 engineers have achieved the status of Diplomate, Geotechnical Engineering (D.GE).
Requirements to Become a Board Certified Diplomate?
- The applicant shall be actively engaged in the professional practice of geotechnical engineering.
- The applicant shall possess a valid license to practice professional engineering issued by a State, Territory, Possession, or District of the United States or an equivalent license or certificate issued by a foreign country, provided that said valid license or certificate of registration or charter from a foreign country shall be evaluated by the CEC Board of Trustees on a case-by-case basis to assure that the license or certificate meets the standards set by the CEC Board of Trustees.
- The applicant shall have been awarded a baccalaureate degree in engineering or other related field from a college of engineering program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc. This requirement may be waived, provided that the applicant has mastered the requisite Body of Knowledge in a manner and form acceptable to the Academy Board of Trustees.
- The applicant shall have been awarded either a master of science, master of engineering, or doctoral degree in engineering or other relevant field, from one or more educational institutions of recognized standing. This requirement may be waived, provided that the applicant has mastered the requisite Body of Knowledge in a manner and form acceptable to the Academy Board of Trustees.
- The applicant shall possess a minimum of (10) ten years of progressively increasing professional experience, in responsible charge, after receipt of their first professional engineering license. Such work experience shall be in one or more of the specialty areas established by the Board of Trustees. Further, such work shall include active participation in responsible planning, design, analysis, operation, management, regulation, research, or teaching. In the case of teaching, the work experience shall be at an educational institution of recognized standing.
- The applicant has agreed in writing to adhere to the ASCE’s Code of Ethics.
- The applicant has mastered the requisite Body of Knowledge in a manner and form acceptable to the AGP Board of Trustees.
Benefits of Certification:
- Respected Expertise
- Validated Competence
- Heightened Marketability
- Career Advancement
- Expanded Professional Network
- Increased Credibility
- Improved Leadership Skills
- Increased Knowledge Base
- Increased Earning Potential
- Heightened Recognition
Additional Benefit of Becoming a Diplomate
Your dedication to the Academies of ASCE qualifies you for a Diplomate Professional Liability credit. This credit is an exclusive Diplomate discount on your ASCE professional liability insurance that could range from 5 to 7.5%. In many cases, the value of this discount alone may exceed your application and recertification costs.
ASCE’s Insurance Brokers with Lloyds of London recognize the value of Board Certification, knowing the Diplomate has demonstrated the mastery and use of a specialized body of knowledge, superior experience, strong ethics, and have a commitment to lifelong learning.
While our underwriters have the final decision on providing insurance after proper evaluation of your firm and its history, we will work with you to make sure you receive a fair premium and the premium credit that celebrates your expertise, strong ethics, and commitment to excellence. For more information, contact an ASCE Professional Liability Specialist at 800.650.2723.