Professional certification offered through the Academy ensures that geotechnical engineers have specialized knowledge and skills in their field of practice. Once your education, experience and expertise has been vetted by a panel, you are granted the Diplomate, Geotechnical Engineering (D.GE) certification.
Differentiate yourself from your peers by applying for your D.GE. To maintain the certification, you are required to earn at least twenty professional development hours (PDHs) per year to stay up-to-date on new technologies and trends.
Why is Board Certification Important?
Geo-Professional Board Certification was created in 2008 to recognize engineers who have an advanced degree of knowledge and expertise in the specialized field of Geotechnical Engineering. These individuals, who are endorsed with this Board Certification, are actively engaged in this professional practice and have met and often exceed the minimum requirements.
With these skills and accomplishments, Board Certified engineer is one of the highest designations in the Geo-Profession and recognized as a respected and credible professional within the field of civil engineering.
What is a Board Certified Diplomate?
- A Diplomate is a Board Certified Professional.
- It is considered one of the highest designations in the Geo-Profession.
- Over 350 engineers have achieved the status of Diplomate, Geotechnical Engineering (D.GE).
Requirements to Become a Board Certified Diplomate?
- Be of good moral character and of high ethical standing in the Geo-Profession.
- Be actively engaged in professional practice within the Geo-Profession.
- Possess baccalaureate and master’s degrees in engineering from an accredited college of engineering program (acceptable to the Board of Trustees). The master’s degree shall be directly related to the Geo-Profession specialty field to which he or she is applying for certification.
- Possess a valid license to practice professional engineering recognized by a State, District, or Territory of the United States or certificate of registration/charter from a foreign country acceptable to the Board of Trustees.
- Possess a minimum of eight years of progressively increasing responsible charge after receipt of a professional engineer license in one or more of the specialty fields of the Geo-Profession established by the Board of Trustees and identified in Article 5 of the Bylaws. Further, such work shall include active participation in responsible planning, design, analysis, operation, management, regulation, research, or teaching. In the case of teaching, the work experience shall be at a college of engineering program accredited by ABET, Inc., acceptable to the Board of Trustees.
- Agree in writing to adhere to AGP’s Code of Ethics, and has provided documentation of any past or pending disciplinary actions from any professional engineer licensing board.
- Be required to orally defend their application in a manner satisfactory to the Board of Trustees. Oral examinations shall be held in such places and in such manner as indicated by the number and location of applicants and as determined by the Secretary/Treasurer. The requirement for an oral examination may be waived by the Admissions Committee only when the written application clearly demonstrates that the applicant meets all of the requirements specified in this Section, and has attained the Levels of Achievement defined in AGP’s Body of Knowledge in a manner and form acceptable to the Board of Trustees.
- The Board of Trustees shall be empowered to certify an applicant by waiving some of the certification requirements listed above.
Benefits of D.GE Certification:
D.GE gives you recognition as a leader in the field of geotechnical engineering.
D.GE is a certification of recognition beyond licensure recognized by clients, employers, peers and the public.
D.GE demonstrates mastery of a specialty(s) within the broad field of geotechnical engineering and commitment to stay up to date on new technological innovations.
D.GE demonstrates a strong commitment to professionalism through ethics and continuing professional development requirements.
D.GE adheres to and supports AGP mission to elevate the level of standards in civil engineering.
Additional Benefit of Becoming a Diplomate
Your dedication to the Academies of ASCE qualifies you for a Diplomate Professional Liability credit. This credit is an exclusive Diplomate discount on your ASCE professional liability insurance that could range from 5 to 7.5%. In many cases, the value of this discount alone may exceed your application and recertification costs.
ASCE’s Insurance Brokers with Lloyds of London recognize the value of Board Certification, knowing the Diplomate has demonstrated the mastery and use of a specialized body of knowledge, superior experience, strong ethics, and have a commitment to lifelong learning.
While our underwriters have the final decision on providing insurance after proper evaluation of your firm and its history, we will work with you to make sure you receive a fair premium and the premium credit that celebrates your expertise, strong ethics, and commitment to excellence. For more information, contact an ASCE Professional Liability Specialist at 800.650.2723.